Highbury Safika Media (HSM) is one of the largest magazine publishers in Southern Africa, publishing more than 30 magazine titles across three categories: sport, lifestyle and business. We have an established track record in creating world-class content for print and digital media, both for our own brands and those of our clients.
HSM is looking for a bright wordsmith to join its lifestyle editorial department as a junior staff writer.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
• Brainstorm fresh and original story ideas every month
• Research and compile articles that fulfill briefs, incorporating expert comment and real-life stories where necessary, for five lifestyle titles including: two women’s magazines, one decor and lifestyle magazine, one children’s magazine and one teen magazine
• Source and write snippets for news, op ed and reviews pieces
• Come up with creative headers and blurbs for all pieces
• Source accompanying images when required
• Constantly improve their writing skills
• Ensure all content produced is engaging, reader-friendly and of a high standard
• Develop sources and contacts within professional networks
• Fact-check and self-edit all work
Please email a motivation letter (max 200 words) along with your CV (PDF format preferred); outlining what makes you suitable for this position. Kindly please be advised that shortlisted candidates will be required to complete a short writing test.
Should you not hear from us within two weeks of the closing date, please consider your application for this position unsuccessful.
• Relevant degree or diploma
• Relevant industry experience
• Excellent writing and self-editing skills
• Firm grasp on the intricacies of the English language
• Strong interviewing skills
• Ability to write for varied audiences
• Good knowledge of current affairs, lifestyle issues, style trends and the world of celebrities
• Ability to juggle multiple deadlines
• Good work ethic
• Good time management skills
• Positive attitude
Posted on 20 Apr 11:35
Highbury Safika Media
021 416 0141