CAR is Southern Africa’s leading multimedia automotive consumer brand. Established in 1957, CAR magazine is not only comfortably the largest monthly automotive magazine, but also the largest male-interest magazine, in South Africa. Its website, CARmag.co.za, was established more than a decade ago to offer web and mobile-based motoring enthusiasts a frequently updated source of news and information about the car market.
CAR is looking for a structured and organized candidate with an excellent eye for detail to take over the role of copy editor. Reporting to the editor, the successful candidate will be responsible for subbing and proofing content, as well as managing the workflow within the editorial team.
There are two key areas of responsibility:
1. Copy role that includes:
- Proofing and subbing of content across all CAR platforms
- Ensuring the CAR style and quality is maintained by the writers
- Writing photo captions, stand firsts, pull quotes, strap lines and headings
- Correction of grammar and text re-writes where necessary
- Doing copy cuts and fit to page where necessary
- Fact checking and verification
- Maintaining/updating the existing CAR style guide.
2. Production role that includes:
- Managing the magazine work flow from the arrival of copy through to final sign off by the editor
- Tracking this workflow using CAR’s existing workflow structure and paperwork
If you meet all of the requirements and you’re passionate about all things automotive, please send a letter of application and an up-to-date CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications will close on 22 April 2015
Further correspondence will only be entered into with candidates under consideration for the position. Should you not have heard from us within 10 days of the closing date, please consider your application as unsuccessful.
RamsayMedia is an innovative and principled South Africa media company that delivers original quality content to audiences across multiple platforms. Our mission is to provide our clients with innovative communication solutions through the delivery of world-class content that entertains, informs and inspires audiences.
To be considered for this role, you’ll need to have:
- Meticulous subbing and proofreading skills
- A relevant qualification (English/journalism majors non negotiable)
- Minimum of five years subbing or related experience
- Proven writing skills, backed up by a portfolio of work
- Excellent command of the English language
- The ability to rewrite copy to enhance its readability
- Knowledge of production processes, and related terminologies; proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and knowledge of Adobe InDesign
- A keen interest in motoring
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good management and organisational skills
- Good research skills and the ability to keep your knowledge up to date
- A good understanding and level of familiarity with the web and social media platforms
- Knowledge of InDesign
- The ability to deliver high quality work in a deadline-driven, competitive environment
- A willingness to work unusual hours and attend events after hours where necessary
Posted on 13 Apr 12:25