Pearson is a dynamic and growing education company, working in the areas of learning resources, assessment and training. We have one goal: to help people make progress in their lives through learning. We believe in excellence and high performance within a supportive, cooperative environment. We aim to be brave, imaginative and decent in everything we do.
In order to increase our effectiveness in helping people improve their lives through learning, we are looking for lead cloud services to provide operational support for systems and services in our cloud infrastructure environments, which includes cloud service development, advanced troubleshooting, architectural design, and management of overall health of services running on Pearson’s own, internally managed cloud.
Who should apply?
- You are passionate about technology and how it can enable education delivery in South Africa,and want to make a difference.
- You are action-orientated, ethical, determined and customer focused.
- You are collaborative, take accountability for your work and your actions.
- You are detailed orientated, organised, systematic and a clear communicator.
- You are curious, open to learning new systems and keep yourself up to date with new ways of working
- Design, manage and operate services running in a cloud environment
- Leverage automation framework to improve processes, automate deployment, and improve manageability of environment.
- Review entire environment and execute initiatives to reduce failures, defects and improving overall performance
- Work with experienced communication services on maintenance of environment
- Perform tasks that are often unstructured and address issues that are less defined requiring new perspectives and creative approaches
- Coordinate directly with internal customers and service managers on design, life cycle, and expansion of cloud based service offerings
- Advanced troubleshooting and monitoring of service systems to ensure adequate SLA, capacity and expansion requirements
- Design and oversee service content design, health and lifecycle
- Coordinate with cloud operations team(s) for troubleshooting, maintenance, capacity management, and architectural design and deployment of next generation clouds
- Review entire environment and execute initiatives to reduce failures, and improve overall performance
- Document architectures, procedures, processes for use by other cloud operators
- Management of legacy infrastructure, software and systems while in transition to cloud services
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; including documentation
- Ability to handle multiple complex tasks, with tight deadlines concurrently
- Ability to perform well in a dynamic environment, with on-time delivery
- Demonstrated ability to use problem solving techniques such as root cause analysis to resolve issues
- Demonstrated ability to write and present effective materials, including presentations, status reporting, technical diagrams and flowcharts
- Ability to follow and adhere to policies, procedures and standards relating to systems management
- Able to apply attained experiences and knowledge in solving problems that are complex in scope requiring in-depth evaluation as well as identifying problems in advance, and proposing solutions
- Require limited supervision and direction; drive results and set priorities independently
- Strong customer facing and relationship building skills
- Ability to uncover business challenges and develop a solution to solve those challenges
- Always learning, courageous, ethical and determined
Leading the business
- Customer focused, transformational, commercial and innovative
- Developer, inspirational, relationship-builder and makes it happen
Experience and qualification
- Seven years plus experience supporting production systems
- Four years hands on experience with VMware Virtual Center/vSphere or other VMware enterprise products
- Expert programming experience using one or more structured languages (python/ Java/C++)
- Experience coding to product APIs
- Knowledge of Red Hat, Centos, Ubuntu, and Windows operating systems
- VMware Certified Profession (VCP) or equivalent working experience
Posted on 27 Mar 07:41