- Directs the activities of the news staff to develop story ideas, track issues and events, select reporters for coverage, schedule stories for air, and schedule time for interviewing, writing and editing.
- Serves as a primary editor to insure news reports are produced in an effective, timely and responsible manner
- Acts as a proactive liaison to various internal and external constituencies to advance the station’s news programming. These may include the station programming and operations and development staff
- Contributes content on a regular basis.
- Anchor newscasts, host talk programs, appear as a program guest, and produce various spots, features or special programs
- Adheres to deadlines and makes timely and effective decisions in situations requiring prompt attention.
- Is the primary content manager during times of local crisis.
- Set goals and monitor scheduling and performance of news personnel.
- Manages the news department budget — including annual planning, monthly monitoring, and routine handling.
- Helps maintain equipment and information systems vital to news planning, newsgathering, news production and news presentation.
- Promote public contact to help ascertain public needs and bolster station success.
- Participates in station events and fundraising activities as appropriate.
Leads and manages the planning,production and presentation of news.
The news editor supervises the news department staff.
Has responsibility and understanding of news planning, reporting, editing and production.
Helps define and maintain ethical, editorial, artistic and technical standards for broadcast news programmes.
Assists with news programming decisions and news operations.
Competencies and skills
- Excellent command of English
- Possess effective communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must have excellent memory for details.
- be able to meet daily deadlines under stressful conditions
- Deal effectively multiple tasks simultaneously.
Posted on 06 Mar 15:11